Re: [gnugo-devel] another semeai patch

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] another semeai patch
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 20:17:16 -0800

I wrote:

> A good semeai game is in the CVS. It is
>
> regression/games/nngs/beedee-gnugo-3.5.3-200401140035.sgf
>
> GNU Go makes a seki, then tenuki's too many times in the
> semeai and loses it.
>
> Gunnar and I watched this game and he speculated that Paul's
> patch might help. Paul's patch changes GNU Go's tenuki at
> move 208 from S19 to R7. We need to make some semeai tests
> on the basis of this game.
>
> Which is the fatal tenuki that blows the seki?

The critical move is 280. But Paul's patch doesn't
solve it. The reason is that in the critical variation,
after:

B:S17 W:S16 B:L12 W:P10 B:K9 W:S10

the new module is never called because the test at
line 933 of owl.c is not matched.

   if (min_eyes(&probable_eyes_b) == 1) {
     int move = semeai_propose_eyespace_filling_move(owla, owlb);

If this test is taken down, the problem is fixed. The
move found by the semeai code at B:S17 is an unnecessary
cut but does save the B group and the semeai is read out
correctly.

   if (1 || min_eyes(&probable_eyes_b) == 1) {
     int move = semeai_propose_eyespace_filling_move(owla, owlb);

Dan