Re: [gnugo-devel] another semeai patch

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] another semeai patch
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 21:46:07 +0100

Paul wrote:
> I didn't look into this, but i suspect that the failes are caused by
> increased number of nodes.  That is, semeai code most likely runs out
> of nodes in those tests now, which is not something good for accurate
> reading.

I would guess so too.

> The logic of the patch is like this: "when semeai code doesn't know
> what to do, and there is a dead eyeshape (but not two or more certain
> eyes), try to fill it".  Changing "==" to ">=" effectively removes the
> "no two certain eyes" cutoff and will of course waste nodes in certain
> positions.
>
> > It seems to me that this breakage is acceptable, but we
> > might want to take a look at whether something can be
> > done about strategy4.
>
> So, maybe we should rather try to make `probable_eyes_b' contain more
> accurate results (and not waste semeai nodes).

Fully agreed. The "==" logic is correct and I'd much prefer to get the
eye count right.

> I will regress the change i proposed: ignoring lunches for dragon B
> which are part of dragon A (like we do for dragon A's lunches which
> are part of B).

If that doesn't work out I have a reading patch (not yet regressed)
which solves the tactical reading problem that's at the root of it
all. This is the reading mistake:

loadsgf games/nngs/beedee-gnugo-3.5.3-200401140035.sgf 280
trymove B S17
trymove W S16
trymove B L12
trymove W P10