Re: [gnugo-devel] another semeai patch

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] another semeai patch
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 08:57:37 -0800

Paul wrote:

> In this semeai position, min_eyes(&probable_eyes_b) happens to be 13.
> This is due to tactical attack on the first dragon.  So, instead of
> taking the test down, i propose to replace "==" with ">=".  The test
> is actually there for performance reason: no need to try filling dead
> eyeshapes if there are none.

After such a change there is the following breakage:

./regress.sh . trevora.tst
370 unexpected PASS!
./regress.sh . nngs.tst
820 unexpected FAIL: Correct 'J13|L9', got 'D14'
./regress.sh . semeai.tst
59 unexpected PASS!
60 unexpected FAIL: Correct '0 0 PASS', got '1 1 H5'
./regress.sh . strategy4.tst
155 unexpected FAIL: Correct 'D18', got 'E16'
./regress.sh . ninestones.tst
560 unexpected PASS!
./regress.sh . 9x9.tst
30 unexpected PASS!
120 unexpected FAIL: Correct 'F1', got 'B1'

[There will be one more unexpected pass from the beedee game
at move 280. I added tests from this game as semeai:99 and 100.]

The tests trevora:370 and 9x9:30 already passed in the CVS.
Some of the others you already discussed in your e-mail
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gnugo-devel/2004-01/msg00065.html.

What we get is two new unexpected fails at nngs:820 and
strategy4:155.

For nngs:820, W's now likes D14 and you have to admit there
is something to be said for fighting the semeai. It is not
clear to me that D14 is not the right move.

http://evand.rh.ncsu.edu/~evand/gnugo/regress.plx?nngs:820

For strategy4:155, however, it is clear that D18 is a better
move than E16.

It seems to me that this breakage is acceptable, but we
might want to take a look at whether something can be
done about strategy4.

Dan