Re: [gnugo-devel] GNU Go 3.5.4 - Docs in HTML

From: aquarius
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] GNU Go 3.5.4 - Docs in HTML
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 01:38:40 +0100

Paul wrote:

aquarius wrote:
Adding a side menu is not an option for me because of the handwork
and since it would scroll up anyway. But if texi2html could do it ...

I'm sure it is at most a 30 minutes job with `sed'.

Good point. And if someone (not me - alas) had this done it could be
generalized and incorporated into texi2html (-: which is in perl -
easy transition :-)

When you speak about design, you must forget words like "right",
"good", "the one i use" and such.  Good design must look and work
well on any browser, on any system, with any resolution, with
JavaScript turned off and so on.  Of course, there are always
assumptions, but the less their number is, the better.

Again true. I am well aware of the pro's and con's of
frames and think that they are misused way to often.
See http://selfhtml.teamone.de/html/frames/layouts.htm (de)
 or http://selfhtml.selfhtml.com.fr/html/frames/misesenpage.htm (fr)
for a discussion.

But IMHO gnugo_frame.html is one of the rare examples
that justify frames: The "sidebar" provides a global
overview and a means to jump quickly between pages.
And there's always the "open link in new window" option.

I prefer to give readers a choice here.

"nichts für ungut ..."  :)
aquarius