Re: [gnugo-devel] multi-board branch

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] multi-board branch
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 00:12:30 +0300

I wrote:
> Arend wrote:
> > The obvious question: How big is the performance penalty?
> > That's of course s.th. we need to take into account when discussing
> > whether we want this in mainline.
>
> I don't know, because I cannot run "real" tests yet: they depend on all
> the GNU Go at once and I still haven't converted owl and `value_moves.c'.
> I don't expect the performance hit to be over 3% though.

Unfortunately, I was wrong.  Performance hit is around 10%: 6885 seconds
CPU time against 6106 seconds.  Timing may be not very precise as I used
the box during regression runs, but the main picture is clear.

In addition, there is some subtle bug that causes node counters differences
on some test files.  I was unable to track it down.

So, the question is: should I abandon this project?  I myself is uncertain.
10% or even more seems like somewhat too high a price.

Paul