Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurements (was: New developer searching for a task

From: Dr Elizabeth Dodd
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurements (was: New developer searching for a task)
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 16:52:49 +1100 (EST)

Quoting Christof Meigen <address@hidden>:

> - My general intention would be to leave the decision
what
> value is
>   normal and what not to the doctor, based on the
avaliable
> information
>   on the patient (age, diagnosis, smoker etc) and
published
> norms.
>   I see that this is strongly against the intention of
Labs,
> who
>   probably claim to be the only ones who know how to
judge the
> things
>   they measured (and don't publish how they come to that
> judgement).
>
> - Imagine a doctor changes Labs, and a value of a
patient is
> marked
>   abnormal, when the very same value two weeks ago was
> judged
>   'normal'. This _might_ be because the first lab
measured
> with a
>   different method (which for example has a larger
error, so
> the
>   slightly abnormal measurement was still marked normal)
but
>   it also might be because the first Lab just used a
> different
>   norm.

Just to totally confuse matters, by statistical definition
we are leaving out the 'normal' people who are are 2
standard deviations from the mean. Therefore 2.5% of
normal persons have 'hi' results and 2.5% of normal
persons have low results on a given test. That is the
result of the way the 'norms' are calculated.
Then add the confusion by labs with different refernece
ranges as just described. The doctor seeing the patient
has to make a decision about the result in the context of
the patient, (we treat patients not lab results) and must
be able to mark the result as satisfactory or
unsatisfactory regardless of lab norms.
(if this doesn't translate well in German, I can try
simpler English next time)
Liz