Re: [Gnumed-devel] config issues

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] config issues
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 13:09:08 +0200

> 1. I18N gets the locale directly from some table in I18N.sql, but not from
> the cfg_* tables, i.e. you can't set it using config parameters. Could we
> change that behaviour so that config parameters are read at startup and
> I18N tables are set accordingly ?
The database "locale" is derived from the current system
locale and set at startup. I'd like to see the rationale for
doing that in another way. Please make a specific suggestion
as to how to handle the locale. One way would be to set the db
locale from the current system locale (with the sanity checks
like we do now) except when set in the local config file in
which case no cross-checks with the system locale are done
(except that a translation is actually available) in which
case one may end up with mixed languages: one from the DB, one
from the frontend gettext. But one might argue that the user
better know what she does when explicitely defining a DB
locale in the local config file.

The DB locale is a per-session option and thus need not be
stored permanently in the database. There is some benefit to
have finer-grained control in i118n_curr_lang than the current
user+language that we have now. This could be achieved by
using the cfg_* tables. But it would also mean that we'd need
those tables in every database because we are doing joins on
them (BTW, the current code also updates the primary database
only).

Suggestions welcome.