Re: [Gnumed-devel] config issues

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] config issues
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 19:14:33 +0200

> I always thought that we want only one common locale for DB and client.
Yes.

> I assumed you set the gnumed locale from the current system locale because
> no other  information is available at the first run.
Also because it's the most likely locale the user wants. After
all, this is what the locale setting is for! Remember, this
is UNIX.

> IMHO gettext and the DB should use the same locale, set by the user:
Yes.

> - if no config info is available, get the locale from system and set it as
> a per-user option
If you want to change the GnuMed locale to something other
than the "normal" system locale do so in a wrapper shell
script. That's the proper way to do that.

> - if config info is available, use this and ignore system locale
Why ?

> - if the user changes the gnumed locale, set the DB and gettext locale
>   either immediately or at the next start.
No. This would mean you *have* to change the GnuMed locale
explicitly even when you already told the system: "listen, I want
*that* locale from now on". Applications are supposed to look
at the system environment to figure out what the user wants.
That's what the very term "environment" implies. However, an option
to hardcode a different setting should be provided. And it is.
Use a wrapper shell script.