Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: What is SOAP - Why edit area suited to this

From: richard terry
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: What is SOAP - Why edit area suited to this
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:01:24 +1000

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:17 pm, Ian Haywood wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:25:46 +1000
>
> richard terry <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Ian, I'd have to really disagree with you on the confusion of the scratch
> > pad and the soap stuff.
> >
> > Totally different.
> >
> > The scratch pad is an invaluable clinician oriented memory jogger where
> > one puts stuff which may or may not be relevant to the clinical care of
> > the patient.
>
> Point taken. Two questions:
>
> 1/ when the consult ends and there's stuff in the scratchpad, how is it
> encoded in the clinical record?

Depends what you mean  by encoded. You backend people would have more idea
than I. IN VB  however, in my ignorance I just had a table I called
data_scratchpad with a counter id, consult_id,(key to main id table
containing consult_id, patient_id, type, date etc.) deleted as boolean. When
the item was dealt with it was either flagged complete, complete with text
explanation, and any text was auto-recorded in the progress notes for that
day.

> 2/ how should the SOAP form fit into the current design?
>
> > likely possibilities of symptoms based on the childs age, the preceeding
> > symptom etc and this is presented in the phrase wheel.
>
> This implies serious expert system activity behind the scenes, sounds hard
> to implement. [of course, I'm happy to be proven wrong ;-)].

Not that hard. Firstly dumb learning symptoms are very efficicient as you
imply below, plus, don't forget that even a basic coding system such as ICPC
has linked terms of synonyms (so that when you type say 'ot' in the next term
under it on the list might be 'middle ear infection' etc) which make building
dumb learning systems pretty quick and easy.
Secondly don't forget that there are only a limited number of common
conditions we all see. One has to start somewhere. Malcolm Ireland and I are
particularly interested in this sort of stuff, so when we get up to it I'm
sure we will both contribute.

Richard

However,  we