Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:20:50 -0800

I looked to gnumed.org at the previous version of what was given as the
"cvs link" and it occurred to me that in addition to making the
installation manual available as _part_ of the CVS, it might be helpful
to point people to the installation pages, so they can be read via
browser IN PREPARATION FOR cvs checkout.
Surely spot on !  There are or were online links to the
CVS version of the docs at gnumed.org, however ?

Any links were absent from the "CVS" page and a search at gnumed.org for "install" yields only 2 articles [one to Boa Constructor and one to an FAQ I am developing]. If they would have turned up using a similar search at gnumed.net they are no longer accessible (I do not know if searches at gnumed.org will turn up content remaining at gnumed.net).

I had not thought to look in the Development link (I had not started out thinking I could 'Develop") for installation instructions. I note now that gnumed.org must search only on full words because "Installation" had not turned up when I searched how to "install".

I had looked at Documentation but with the emphasis on gnumed's suitability "only for developers" at this stage, I looked at the Developer documentation and choked on CVS. I had not thought to look inside the "User manual" for installation thinking gnumed 'not ready yet for users".

I think that the link to the installation instructions will benefit from appearing also on the gnumed.org CVS page (done) and in an expanded set of FAQs (being done).