Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:15:24 +0100

> OK here is one data point for you.
Thanks.

> I spent the better part of a day
> trying to get GnuMed working on OS X.
I don't have access to OS X so that's creating problems for me
so I need (your) feedback.

> I also had problems because I have Postgresql installed in a
> non-standard location. So perhaps everything is easy if you have a new
> machine and everything is installed in the hardcoded locations where
> GnuMed expects them.
I do believe we have (nearly ?) no hardcoded locations in GnuMed.
If so I would dearly love to learn about it so we can fix
that sort of crap.

> >- run redo-public.sh in server/bootstrap/
>
> Compare this to what is in gnumed/client/doc/user-manual/pgsql.html
> which I was trying to follow. There is no mention of redo-public.sh.
I know. I haven't gotten around to submitting doc changes for
that yet. I just posted on the mailing list at the time of
committing.

> But there are a lot of other confusing instructions and inaccuracies.
I know :-(

> I do medical software development and find the concepts of GnuMed to be
> intriguing. But the installation experience alone led me to put it
> aside for now.
We need to make that better !