Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 23:31:09 +1100

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:15:24PM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > I spent the better part of a day
> > trying to get GnuMed working on OS X.
Gnumed has the luxury of a fairly high developer/user ratio.
Ask early, ask often.
> > I also had problems because I have Postgresql installed in a
> > non-standard location. So perhaps everything is easy if you have a new
[snip]
> I do believe we have (nearly ?) no hardcoded locations in GnuMed.
> If so I would dearly love to learn about it so we can fix
> that sort of crap.
What I suspect is happening is that the pgPySQL can't find the
postgres server's local socket. (this is hardcoded inside the library,
no easy fix AFAIK) Of course he can use TCP/IP, but the server
needs to be configurated correctly and he needs to delve into the
bootstrap scripts to change the hostname setting.

> We need to make that better !
We should make the bootstrapper more friendly. I propose that if the
script is started with no arguments it enters "nice" mode:
- it probes for the server connection (tries local then TCP/IP)
- if this fails, it spits out an essay on how to re-configure, including
example pg_hda.conf and postgresql.conf files.
- then it tries to connect as adminstrator with no password, (asking
for the password when usually it usually doesn't need one is confusing)
- then offers a menu of configs based on the files in server/bootstrap.

Is there any way we can go back to the old behaviour where config files
specify the whole database so we don't need to run the script multiple
times?

Ian

PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E