Re: [Gnumed-devel] Packages

From: David Grant
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Packages
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:33:09 -0500

Karsten Hilbert wrote:

to a python package system, where modules are imported like this (using gmAllergies.py as an example):

from gnumed.client.python-common import gmDispatcher, gmSignals
from gnumed.client.python-common.business.gmClinicalRecord import gmClinicalPart

Ah ! OK, that allows us to separate CVS directory
reorganization from import reorganization.

I don't think this is true.  (is it?)

I think modules are named after the directories. Although maybe some software like bicyclerepairman can do the refactoring if we want to rename a directory?

I agree with going
forward with this first and later changing directories if
needed.

1. Basically for the purpose of getting rid of the entire get_base_path thing in gnumed.py,
No, for the reasons that were stated several times.

Ok, get_base_path stays for now I guess, but what is below goes:

and this in gnumed.py as well:
# manually extend our module search path
      sys.path.append(os.path.join(appPath, 'wxpython'))
      sys.path.append(os.path.join(appPath, 'python-common'))
      sys.path.append(os.path.join(appPath, 'business'))
Yes ! :-)

3. Tells people what the imported modules relate to:

When I see this:

import gmDispatcher, gmSignals
from gmClinicalRecord import gmClinicalPart

as a new developer, I might like to know where these are coming from.
5. It makes it clearer what the modules are.
Excellent point ! Never thought of this before.

The only disadvantage is that it makes import statements longer,
Never mind, sed is your friend.

I'm not very good at sed....
python-common has to be renamed to pythoncommon or something else,
pycommon ?

names for that matter. As long as no one has uncommitted changes, it should be an easy change.
This is what Liz was talking about. Let's call a deadline for
committing to python-common by Feb 23 24:00 UTC. Past that all
bets are off.

Cool. :-) Karsten or someone else, if everybody will have code committed by that deadline, then maybe someone should rename directories or do whatever is decided via the cvs server directly, if we can access cvsroot via ssh that is. That way the history files will be preseved. There is lots of info about this in the cvs cederqvist manual at cvshome.org.

David