Re: [Gnumed-devel] demographics.sql

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] demographics.sql
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 02:03:54 -0800

On Mar 4, 2004, at 11:51 PM, Ian Haywood wrote:
Richard Terry's contacts panel has a hierarchial structure, roughly
Organisations (hospitals, path. companies, clinics)
        -> Divisions (such as hospital departments)
                -> Branches (such as collecting centres for path. companies)
                        -> Individual people.

So far so good - and I like the above

Its complex, as individuals may be associated with several entries...
My current thinking:
- table org, with a reference back to itself to represent divisions. Toplevel organisations have NULL here.
        - tables lnk_org2comm_channel, lnk_org2ext_id, lnk_org2address
- other tables regularised in naming: lnk_identity2comm_channel, lnk_identity2ext_id, and so on, so we can use the same client business code for both. ("identity" is the central table we use for individuals at present) - no specific table for branches. Instead, we conceptualise branches as organisation X at address Y. Similarily, individuals who are also have address Y as one of their addresses are "members" of that branch.

If Mary is one of the clinic's staff, and Mary has also gotten care within the clinic, would Mary as Individual X at her home address Y define her as a patient, whereas Mary as Individual X at clinic address Y would define her as staff? Would it be in the lnk_identity2address table that the individual's "context / role / position" is defined and stored (e.g. patient, staff, president). Further, in the case of specifying a doctor, would we here define the individual simply as "doctor" with the requirement to use a second field in the same lnk_identity2address table for the detail (e.g. psychiatrist, pediatrician)?