Re: [Gnumed-devel] demographics.sql

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] demographics.sql
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:47:05 +1100

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:45:57 +1100
Richard Terry <address@hidden> wrote:
> I will mail you my contacts.mdb for your perusal Ian once I strip the data.

Hold on, I haven't got a copy of Access ;-(

> The simple way to manage these many relationships is via  a central links
> table. (see the png dump). This gives enormous flexibility because you can
> attatch limitless  specific instances to it aside from basic names and
> addresses (see in the dump the tables which they use to keep track of GP
> specific stuff.

This clears up things a lot, I can see the advantage of this approach.
Some questions/observations:
        - What is Lu_Networks, what does it represent?
        - ditto Person_Category (organisation categories I understand)
        - How in your schema are organisational divisions (the "Dept. of
Paediatrics" etc. in your screen dump) represented? [I suspect
you have unified the concepts of "address" "branch" and "division", which makes
things easier]
        - I notice people could have different occupations at different places.
Is this intentional? Whether this is useful or
not is a separate question.
        - Organisation_Communication_ID, Data_Communications  and
Employee_Communication_ID all appear to duplicate functionality.
        - Which of the above 3 represents the organisations own contact details
(viz. hospital switchboard no.) I would say the first, but the
table it links to (data_Communications_1) has entries like "mobile" and
"home_phone"

Ian

PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E