Re: [Gnumed-devel] demographics.sql

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] demographics.sql
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 21:35:02 +1100

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 02:03:54AM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:
> If Mary is one of the clinic's staff, and Mary has also gotten care
> within the clinic, would Mary as Individual X at her home address Y
> define her as a patient, whereas Mary as Individual X at clinic address
> Y would define her as staff? Would it be in the lnk_identity2address
> table that the individual's "context / role / position" is defined and
> stored (e.g. patient, staff, president). Further, in the case of
> specifying a doctor, would we here define the individual simply as
> "doctor" with the requirement to use a second field in the same
> lnk_identity2address table for the detail (e.g. psychiatrist,
> pediatrician)?
IMHO, no.

The fact that an individual is a patient is defined by having an entry
in the clinical tables. Similarily there is a special table for the
database's clinic's own staff. Other roles are largely constant. For
example, if a vascular surgeon operates at private hospitals A and B, public
[state] hospital C and sees patients at clinic D, it would be pain
(and potential source of error) to have to enter in that (s)he is a vascular
surgeon at all four places.
PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E