Re: [Gnumed-devel] project cost management (was installing and using gnu

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] project cost management (was installing and using gnumed)
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 21:58:45 -0800

On Mar 5, 2004, at 10:06 AM, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
The larger issue of supporting costs does make me wonder whether, and
when, we should organize whatever monies are gathered. It would be
impossible to do any responsible fundraising without a system into
which to direct the funds.
Which funds ? I don't think its a good idea to put up a sign like 'donate here'. People will always ask where the money goes and what we do with the money. I like the way the guys over at freeb do it. Offer a bounty on a per feature
basis. People could then donate for a particular feature.

Agree - I myself would be uninterested donating to "unspecified expenses" - we should not be looking to achieve a "positive" balance to use against (especially unspecified) "future" expenses.

I would suggest:
- keep to a minimum the need to collect and manage any money
- do not accept money, EXCEPT toward specified purposes
- where possible, secure instead non-monetary donation e.g. of bandwidth, server space, waivers of fees

If & when we need to collect & manage any money, I suggest that
- authority to transfer any funds require ANY two among a pool of at least four or five people with periodic rotation / renewal of the group - we would need an electronic financial service able to support the above (AFAIK banks can only accommodate hard-copy signatures) - I do like the "bounty per feature" approach but would suggest "pledges toward" a feature, and not collecting any real money in advance
- any money received should be reported on a monthly(?) basis