[Gnumed-devel] use of PG inheritance in GNUmed

From: Tim Churches
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] use of PG inheritance in GNUmed
Date: 13 Mar 2004 12:15:09 +1100

A quick question: in general terms, how is PostgreSQL inheritance used
in GNUmed? I've been looking carefully at this feature of PG, and am a
bit confused by it, because column (definitions) are inherited by the
child tables from the parent tables, but rows are inherited by the
parents from the child table. In other words, the inheritance of columns
and rows operate in opposite directions, which doesn't seem very useful
to me - or at least it isn't for my purposes (unrelated to GNUmed). Does
this characteristic of the inheritance cause problems for GNUmed, or is
it an advantage.
--

Tim C

PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B  EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0