Re: [Gnumed-devel] use of PG inheritance in GNUmed

From: Roberto Mello
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] use of PG inheritance in GNUmed
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 23:38:24 -0700

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 06:53:21PM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> > Inheritance should not be used. Sticking to the relation model as much as
> > possible will save us from problems and portability issues.
> Feel free to re-implement, I suppose.
>
> If we want portability we'd need to refrain from stored
> procedures and triggers, too. Views are barely portable, too.

Point taken. Still, inheritance is sort of a historical artifact in
PostgreSQL. I don't see it being actively maintained and developed by the
PG team (as you said it yourself).

There are all sorts of gotchas in using inheritance. If gnumed believe its
gains to be worth its costs...

Views are pretty portable.

-Roberto

--
+----|        Roberto Mello   -    http://www.brasileiro.net/  |------+
+       Computer Science Graduate Student, Utah State University      +