Re: [Gnumed-devel] roadmap and what a 0.1 release will "look like"

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] roadmap and what a 0.1 release will "look like"
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:33:01 -0800

On Mar 26, 2004, at 6:36 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

When I talk about the GnuMed 0.1 release I take this to
primarily refer to the state of the wxPython client.
...the supporting backend structure must be in place
...[other] clients need to be finished to the extent necessary
to make the roadmap item useful.
We currently have the following clients:

the wxPython client
 - our main GUI for daily work
 - in progress

Can everything that is written to run "under" or "inside" wxPython be considered part of the GNUMed user interface?

Can the wxPython GUI (and any embedded non-GUI functions) be understood as a collection of widgets, presumably
- under the coordination of, and...
- accessible through, and...
- optionally independently of...
the user's first widget after the login backend connection, a widget I gather may be the "main notebook"?

the LDT importer
 - a standalone auto-importer for German lab data
 - in development

the docs importer
 - a standalone auto-importer for docs (scans)
 - in production

document archive browser
 - standalone selector/viewer for archived docs
 - in production

ASCII patient exporter
 - standalone exporter for the EMR
 - courtesy of Carlos Moro :)

Presumably some of the "standalone" clients, which might be cronned, can also be controlled from (or at least activated by) one of the other GUI widgets

Can I infer that the "standalone" clients could involve any combination of - their own wxPython GUI widget (document archive browser, ASCII patient exporter?) - other user control (Python programming or command-line interface, or a text "settings" or "prefs" file) A "standalone" client, even when it has a wxPython GUI, is considered not to be part of the "main" "wxPython client"?

I'd apply alpha to the state of the GnuMed Python client as a
whole, not to individual parts.

How then to easily express the state of development, or readiness, of parts? Some parts might either "work" (1.0) or "do not yet work" (pre-1.0) while other parts are foreseen to have versions, yes? Assuming yes, maybe parts can be seen as having two attributes, a "level of development" (traditional alpha pre-beta beta) and a "state of readiness for an overall GNUMed release" (basically not ready vs ready or "done"). I concede the testing of the "part" may be incomplete until it is tested within the overall release but it is still helpful to express how the part is coming along.