Re: [Gnumed-devel] Fwd: Lab data support in OSCAR

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Fwd: Lab data support in OSCAR
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 23:48:15 +0200

> The clinician can decide a patient's potassium really is high
> (technically_abnormal at 5.1 gets coded "true") but that it is not
> clinically relevant (requires no action) in a patient with known
> chronic renal failure whose potassium fluctuates between 4.8 and 5.3.
That is exactly the intent.

> I am open to whether clinically_relevant means the same thing as
> "requires action". I am not sure if you can have something
> technically_abnormal and clinically_relevant that requires no action -
> maybe it required action at its first occurrence but having been dealt
> with the repeat occurrences require no action.
Let's assume it *is* equivalent for once. Thus the first
reading requires action (is set to relevant). Action is taken,
chronic renal failure is ascertained, no-further-action is
proposed. All further high readings will be flagged
technically_abnormal but not clinically_relevant. I fail to
see information falling through here so, yes, this scenario
seems to work. I may be wrong, though.

> The information "abnormal" is only possibly helpful to set a priority
> for what needs to be looked at first. I do prefer "low, high, extremely
> low, extremely high"
I changed the schema re that aspect.

> and I would like to see "extremely" equated to
> 'critical" i.e. requiring immediate communication from the lab to the
> doctor and _possible_ immediate action by the doctor.
That is entirely a frontend issue and needs to be solved
there, eg when a demon detects an unreviewed extremely *
condition it notifies the primary doc of the corresponding
patient.