Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed early usability? (was: Lab data support in OSC

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed early usability? (was: Lab data support in OSCAR)
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 13:49:29 -0700

On May 6, 2004, at 10:44 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

Do you need to access the data remotely or will you carry
around and installation of GnuMed/OSCAR and PostgreSQL/MySQL
on a laptop ?

A laptop would work ONLY for the period of time in which I use OSCAR/GnuMed ONLY for lab data. It may be more forward-thinking to start with a server because when I rehire a secretary (mine quit - too busy), neither she nor my wife (who may do my blling) can effectively access data if I am carrying it around on a laptop.

A local computer company that installed and supports OSCAR recommends for 1-2 doctors and 4-5 concurrent users a RAID, tandem-mirrorred server putting emphasis on reliable fast hard drives i.e. using 2 Western Digital Raptor drives ($Can 180 ea, 5 y warrantee sustaining 150MBPS vs ATA parallel drives only 50-75MBPS) for a cost of around $Can 2000 for the server. They also propose that if remote access is to be enabled, they would sleep better from a security view by inserting a a Netscreen hardware firewall device around $Can 600.

As far as where to set up a server my situation is a bit complicated as I sublet space inside its hospital. For remote access and computer support the network and firewall would have to be crossed. Possibly the hospital has a DMZ (demilitarized zone) of server space outside its firewall but likely not so would have to decide the conditions if at all it would permit, through its firewall, a web (app) server and also remote shell (SSH) access, ports 80 (http),443(ssl), 22 (ssh) [else 3389 for windows terminal access] enabled. The hospital may require the server to be isolated on the network but may not be prepared to do or allow it.

Setting up a server at my home would be an option, but they warned that consumer-level ADSL or cable-modem connections could prove frustrating, and so would recommend at least a business class ADSL line ~$Can 100/mo.

They further recommended I could sidestep the need to take up more space in my home by co-locating the server at a data centre and that this would almost certainly provide me with a higher-speed and more reliable internet connection. A rack-style physical configuration would cost more up front, but would reduce space charges. They estimate a few Gigs per mo for 2-4 concurrent users. They didn't know whether physical vulnerability (security) would be a reason against choosing server co-location.

They estimate 30-40 hrs for setup of OSCAR counting formatting, OS and package installation, OSCAR installation, local configuration including the importing of locally relevant tables and additional setup of the individual physicians, potentially also some data importing from the legacy system. They suggest that after the inital set-up, I might need only a couple of hours per month (maybe not even) of hourly support at $Can 60 in leu of a more costly, flat monthly support fee (for example $Can 600 per month which is the arrangement to service OSCAR and the computers in a local clinic having 6 full-time docs and 2 Nurse Practitioners.

Can you be more specific on your *exact* requirements ? Eg.
what format data do you download, exactly how do you plan to
use that data, how would you want to enter patients into
GnuMed, how do you associate samples to the lab with the
results received from the lab. Give me someone who knows your
technical details and we can work out the issues easily.

I know it is HL7 that is locally supported. Will report back when I have more info.