Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Which distributions (distros) of Linux are recomm

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Which distributions (distros) of Linux are recommended for GnuMed?
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 07:39:46 +0200

> Also are the Debian packages likely to be only for fresh installations?
> Or if, for example, any of the database structures or other files
> should change in a way that they should not simply over-write the old
> ones, would scripts required for correct updating be part of the CVS,
> and / or need to be prepared for  - - - and be included in - - -  each
> new package?
>
> All of this IMNO (i my naive opinion) becomes important if people begin
> to try to use one part of the program while others work on other parts
> of the program that may interact. One would hate for example to lose or
> corrupt useful data (even if it is test data) on account of something
> being updated.
You are fully correct and unfortunately I don't see the way to
go forward with this yet especially regarding schema changes.
I have migrated - manually - GnuMed databases before but this
is one thing we should absolutely eventually use a robust
mechanism for that doesn't need manual fixing each and every
time.

And surely, for actually *running* GnuMed one wouldn't simply
overwrite the working copy with the current CVS tree.