Re: [Gnumed-devel] plugin framework

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] plugin framework
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 19:48:08 +0200

> However I now believe this is a nonstarter, as I have said. My vision of the
> perfect GUI woud have some
> integration of "clinical" and "nonclinical" items.
> For example the lists notebook on the top left hand side would have "Inbox"
> and a "Waiting List" lists
> (as well as "Results" "Medications" etc) which you can refer to
> without leaving the "clinical" screen, as the reality of workflow is that you
> will often be moving
> from one to the other.
Having worked with several packages I feel very comfortable
with the paradigm that the waiting list is at least at the
same GUI hierarchial level as the patient clinical window.
Some packages even deactivate the "active patient" when going
"up" to the waiting list. Others don't.

If we use gmClinicalWindowManager as a XORed choice for the
layout manager and integrate the waiting list with it (which
we then must) we need to *rename* it (again), too.

> There is also the "Alerts" box on the bottom left column for showing drug
> interactions, overdue
> vaccinations etc. This must be visible at all times to be useful, the aim is
> to substitute for popup
> dialogs except in exceptional circumstances. (an often-requested feature of
> users of other systems)
Sure, the notebook layout manager lacks that feature of
constant visibility.

> If something is really so separate,  it should be a standalone program, as
> you have said previously.
Duh, you got me there :-)

> If no-one has any objections (and if you do, you really need for argue *for*
> the status quo)
> I will start work on this.
Go ahead but please move cautiously.

Thanks,