Re: [Gnumed-devel] CVS accounts

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] CVS accounts
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:26:18 +0200

> >Do you want a CVS account?
>
> Karsten might have approved one months ago,
You are most likely registered as a developer which gives you
write access to CVS (if not disabled) after you upload a SSH2
key to savannah.

> I have not yet learned to use SSL however am likely to do
Don't be fooled, it's SSH, not SSL. OSCAR, however, is likely
to use SSL for it's non-local connections (as is PostgreSQL
and hence GnuMed) as that is commonly used for encrypting
HTTP traffic.

> server being set up on my behalf. Being sensitive to the
> DevelopmentGuidelines at the wiki, I *would* need need to overcome a
> fear of messing something up especially if it were in the main trunk.
The one easy rule to follow is when doing a cvs commit to
know which files you actually changed and ALWAYS explicitely
name them for the commit. The other rule is to be wary of GUI
frontends that tend to force commit of touched but not
changed files on the user. Good practice is to use the
update_tree.sh script in the tree and check the produced diff
to know which files were changed how. It is then possible to
selectively check in those changed files that one really wants
by explicitely naming them in the commit command.

> Is there protection available through a requirement for "administrator"
> level approval that I would lack or, if main trunk write access comes
> with the account,  would I instead "check in" to something like
> test-area/sql/
If you fear messing up something: a) you can always post/mail
for review first, b) you can always check in under test_area/
first, c) we can always (though not always particularly
conveniently) rollback changes.

> Is "commenting" applicable to the "check-in" phase, or only to the
> "commit"?
Commit.

> Does the CVS application prompt for these comments on an
> interactive basis, for each file, at the time of the attempted
> checkin/commit?
Depends on the CVS frontend. The commandline version prompts
interactively once for the group of files named in the command
line arguments. (And you'd better have your EDITOR environment
variable set to something sensible or you'll be dumped into vi
:-)