Re: [Gnumed-devel] gmDemographics Question de vs au requirments

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gmDemographics Question de vs au requirments
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:56:43 +0200

> > > 1) The suburb/state/postcode thingy:
> > >
> > > In AU we need Suburb/State/Postcode as separate boxes (Why - because for
> >

> In Australia, even in the city we have 'suburb's ie geographic locations
> which
> have real boundaries on the map.  On One side of a street for example you
> could live in New Lambton Heights, and on the other side you could be living
> in Rankin Park. Stupid eh! In the UK, as you know, they have another  system,
> whearas they do have suburbs they have a much more sophisticated code to
> localise the area.
Well, what is more specific in AU, eg what specifies other
fields more narrow - the postcode or the suburb name ?

We do have suburb names in Germany, too. They usually
represent the name of the town, city, village or dwelling that
was at one point incorporated into the larger conglomerate
they now belong to. Unfortunately, there is not a 1:1 mapping
between them and postcodes AFAIK. So, in Germany, when you
know the postcode you know the suburb but if you know the
suburb you can still have a (small) range of postcodes ... So
for us suburb mapping can be derived from postcodes and we
don't need an explicit field for it. We do need postcode and
"urb" since two geographically distinct "places" can have the
same postcode (if both are smaller but separate dwellings).

> We need to have, and I presume you already have a localisation code for
> countires. If you tell me what it is the code can simply, as I stated before
> do a case statement on the country:
gmI18N.system_locale or system_locale_levels (a dict)