Re: [Gnumed-devel] gmDemographics Question de vs au requirments

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gmDemographics Question de vs au requirments
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:24:12 +0200

> > > Well, what is more specific in AU, eg what specifies other
> > > fields more narrow - the postcode or the suburb name ?
> > Neither.
> well to provide an explanation
> i think that each government owned post office has an individual postcode.
> you can define a locality either as suburb+state or suburb+postcode
> but suburb on its own doesn't define the place
> eg Griffith NSW = Griffith 2680
> Griffith ACT = Griffith 2603
> in fact we usually record all three items.
> eg Griffith NSW 2680
Ah ! This is getting interesting. It seems you don't use the
name of the "township" at all ? In my thinking a "township"
consists of several suburbs. We hardly use the suburb name
except in informal situations (eg. "Where in Leipzig do you
life ? - Well, in Sellerhausen, how about you? - Me? In
Mockau.").

Now, when you say you live in "Griffith NSW 2680" does that
mean you live in the part of <city in NSW> that is called
Griffith and has postcode 2680 ? If you really do use the
suburb name that officially why not just consider it the value
to be put into the urb table ? Eg. urb Griffith, state NSW,
postcode 2680 ? Does it matter what city Griffith is part of ?
Or am I getting this whole suburb concept wrong ? What exactly
does suburb stand for ? Is it more like a "county" in the US ?

> now, I live in 2680 but I don't live in Griffith. How does the post office
> handle this? Well we don't have a mail service to home at all so it doesn't
> matter.
How *would* they if it did matter ?