Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gui-Designers was the id_name debate

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gui-Designers was the id_name debate
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:39:08 +0200

> >  OSCAR refuses to permit you to
> > create a patient without entering a date of birth, yet permits you to
> > enter a dob of Feb 31, 1990.
> we have patients who refuse to give us a date of birth.
> here you can legally see a doctor without giving your correct identity
Well, that doesn't mean the database should allow you to
insert an inVALID date but rather allow for unknown (for
arbitrary reasons) eg. NULL. Other options are "impossible"
eg. 1.1.1800 or "infinity" or "-infinity" eg. later/earlier
than any other valid date.

Yet another possibility would be to assume a pseudo identity
with formally valid but factually incorrect demographics.

BTW what about liability ? I think it might be possible to
construe cases where the doctor would have done/recommended
certain checks/procedures had he known the real age but didn't
in view of the lack of age information ?