[Gnumed-devel] report re: windows install

From: kittylitter
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] report re: windows install
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 07:26:08 +0800 (WST)

it still works, albeit temporarily using alternate install scripts

I think red-max.sh isn't working because the connection is via a local unix
port , and it's a windows environment.

I used Win PostgreSQL-7.5 devel  no extra packages,
win - Python 2.3.4  with Python 2.3 eGenix mx Base, Python 2.3 pyPgSQL-2.4,
wxPython 2.5.2.8u for Python 2.3

-I also needed cygwin with bash and python packages installed to run the
bash/python scripts.

The tricky bits, from memory :-
- installing PostgresSQL   postgres user with a password I remember
-  remembering to disconnect PgAdminIII before trying to install gnumed.
- getting used to typing the same password over and over again, when
running to sh install_schema.sh script on cygwin. i.e. have the same password
for postgres and gm-dbowner, so don't get password requests wrong.

-first execute sh cygwin_path.sh , before running gm-from-cvs.bat in the
client directory ; this is so the import paths will resolve in windows,
since the Gnumed soft link path doesn't work in Windows, so the
cygwin_path.sh changes all the .py files to use the original "client"
directory name , instead of the soft link "Gnumed".

- I basically ran gm-from-cvs.bat from the start button -> Run  in windows,
so gnumed will run without cygwin , once the environment is set up.

Other Notes:
There were a couple of bugs which I think I uploaded to cvs , in the
alternate scripts
 -  gm-from-cvs.bat  used the path c:\\Python2.3  when it should be
c:\\Python23

- install_schema.sh needed to add statements for creating the groups
gm-doctors, and gm-public , and the user any-doc, and put it at the
front of the "all" monolithic concatenated sql script that is generated.
The groups were needed first because of the grant statements later.

- there was a syntax error "fi" in append_local_schema.sh

I think the next thing to do , is to

1) do a windows bat script (redo-max.bat)  that will
   a)search and change the soft link import statements
   b)run using the windows python on the bootstrap-gm_db_system.py ,

this will dispense with the need for the test-area/cygwin scripts and
the need to install cygwin ( even if it only minimal).

2)iron out unix dependencies from the bootstrap-gm_db_system script.

 1) is a big ask of a inferior scripting system ;)