Re: [Gnumed-devel] Some suggestions to make gnumed more efficient

From: Christoph Becker
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Some suggestions to make gnumed more efficient
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:31:05 +0100

Hallo Karsten,
Karsten Hilbert schrieb:
>I just checked, we don't have any "character varying" in use.
>Also, I replaced most varchar(n) with TEXT.
I loaded the gm-schema-dump.sql with Emacs and replaced 95
character varying with varchar. The explanation is, that if you use varchar and dump the db, pg_dump writes character varying, no matter wether you have used character varying oder varchar.
Importing the gnumed schema with psql into my database now works perfect.
The solution:
I connected via pgAdminIII to gnumed db on saalam.homeunix.com, copied the users and groups, loaded them into my PostgreSQL db, and then I replaced gnumeds orignal
CREATE FUNCTION plpgsql_call_handler()...
with
CREATE FUNCTION plpgsql_call_handler() RETURNS language_handler
    AS '$libdir/plpgsql', 'plpgsql_call_handler'
    LANGUAGE c;
And everything works great.

Regards
Christoph Becker

Hallo Christoph,

Dezign for databases imports an sql-schema via ImporterScript tool.
You can't run it against a running database.

I understand.

Even more, because of some bugs in their ImporterScript tool,  a
schema-file written with pg_dump has to be run through a filter first.
For example character varying (n) has to be replaced with varchar(n).

I just checked, we don't have any "character varying" in use.
Also, I replaced most varchar(n) with TEXT.

It should be easy to install the gnumed backend on Windows when using a
native Windowsport of  PostgreSQL 8

Well, our bootstrapper needs testing and likely some changes
for Windows. Sure it would be nice to have a point-click
installer but someone needs to do it.

and it should be not to difficult to
understand how the gnumed backend works

Writing a good schema is hard. Understanding and using it
requires thought.

and how it can be interfaced by a GUI.

Ideally, programmers should use middleware/business APIs to
access it. Eg.:

patient = patient_searcher(lastname=..., firstname=...)
emr = patient.get_emr()
print emr.get_missing_vaccinations()
print emr.get_allergies()
print emr.get_last_encounter()
print emr.get_current_medications()

This is how the GnuMed business layer works.

If I get Gnumed running on Windows I will send you the scripts needed as
well as the output of Dezign for Databases. But this may take some time.

Take your time but this would be really helpful. The problem is,
however, that the schema graphics need to be updated
regularly...