Re: [Gnumed-devel] talkback client

From: Tim Churches
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] talkback client
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 19:49:44 +1100

Karsten Hilbert wrote:
>>>uhm, like, you need to have standard email running somewhere
>>>on your system, no different from any other MUA then
>>
>>That was exactly my question. What is meant by standard e-mail ?
>>I don't have sendmail or fetchmail configured. I use kmail and I think it
>>takes care of what it takes to send mail because I have to specify an smtp
>>server inside kmail.
>
> Ah, so then you don't have standard e-mail set up on *your*
> system. Standard e-mail in a UNIX environment means there's a
> demon listening on port smtp (25, I think) that knows how to
> deal with e-mail.

That is only true for a server machine. It would be unusual to have an
SMTP daemon listening on port 25 on a workstation machine. Howver,
sendmail (as a client) should be available (and configured to know how
to forwrad mail to an SMTP server). Have a look at common/sendmail.py in
NetEpi CaseMgr if you are interested to see how we do it
(http://www.netepi.org). There may be more robust ways than what we are
doing, or course.

Tim C