Re: [Gnumed-devel] Call for backend data - states per country

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Call for backend data - states per country
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 07:08:59 -0700

At 10:25 AM +0200 6/7/05, Carlos Moro wrote:
Or we are having state - subdivision (could be translated in spain into community - province?

A few points (?)

- in Canada the 10 provinces and 3 territories complement each other and do not overlap, they are part of the same "location schema" it is just that their political and governance structure is a bit different. Thus if within Canada you live north of British Columbia's northern provincial border, you live in the Yukon. So when entering this piece of information, the label over the field would ideally say "Province/Territory" or shorter "Prov/Terr" or in French "Provence/Territoire"

- presumably Spain's "autonomous communities" and "provinces" overlap physically so there is no "clean" hierarchy between them, it is as though these are 2 independent ways to organize location. But it sounds like one of these 'autonomous communities" is too large to be an urb if an "urb" is a set of {postcode, city, country and state}

- on the subject of urb (since I brought it up) Karsten posted last September the end of a thread noting how urb might affect the input of telephone area codes and zip (postal) codes
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnumed-devel/2004-09/msg00213.html