Re: [Gnumed-devel] script printing code checked in

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] script printing code checked in
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 23:27:02 +0200

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 05:31:04PM +0000, Horst Herb wrote:

> I got sick of playing with wxPython's printing architecture.
That's one good lesson to know :-)

> Tonight I lost the nerve and rewrite gnumed-mini's script printing using
> plain
> postscript / python templating
Given that postscript isn't exactly intended to be user
friendly that speaks for itself regarding the wxPython
printing stuff.

> It appears to work well and very fast, printout virtually immediately with no
> hassles (as long as ghostscript installed or postscript printer
>
> It still has many warts like hardcoded fonts, no automatic line/wordwrap, and
> no intelligence (does not distinguish betwen private/subsidized script etc)
> but if this concept finds general liking, I will continue working on it.
What you describe seems technically nice. I do have one
"problem" with it. PS seems quite low level. How do we
eventually get end-users to define their own forms/templates ?
I do agree that LaTeX is only slightly better in that regard
but it does have some WYSIWYM tools at least.

> It has no dependencies other than python built-ins for now - gnumed has to
> pass all parameters via a single dictionary
Could your code be made to fit into the existing GNUmed
framework:

- template as text blob in database
- data dict generated by GNUmed UI
- template and data handed to form generator class
- template filled in with data by class
- filled in template processed by class
- PS file appears and gets sent to a printer

IOW if you look at client/business/gmForms.py can you imagine
a gmFormEngine child cPSForm ?