[Gnumed-devel] re gnu argus postgres port

From: Syan Tan
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] re gnu argus postgres port
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 22:32:26 +0800

I've done a first draft port of the open source argus hl7 mail
messaging app
 (which is probably almost obsolete ),
 which removes the borland dependencies, so it should run using any
jdbc driver that implements java.sql.Driver ( i.e. postgres)
It seems to work currently using postgres as a backend in these areas:
argus server can be configured, and downloads users and stores to
postgres, mail and attachments.

argus client can read a users mail and attachments from tables in a postgres
database.

I haven't figured how to make argus do things with mail rules and hl7
attachments
yet.

 *-- Is this useful, and if it is, can I put it somewhere, and where ?

BTW, I used eclipse and jdk5 , and have only run it within the
context of these 2 components.

with respect to gnumed, you could use argus to drop hl7 attachments
into a known directory, for a gnumed hl7/mail reader to pickup.

Admittedly, you could do this before, but have to learn
the Borland specific database setup (interbase or firebird) and
have both interbase and postgres running .

The port was straightforward (but tedious) :
- move all the update and insert sql from interbase stored procedures into data
classes and execute them as prepared statments inside java methods  using jdbc.
- Also, the statement for primary key value generation is "gen_id( seq, 1)" in
interbase/firebird and "nextval('seq')" in postgres ( and probably different on
another
database);
- and the blob subtype 0 interbase type was replaced with bytea in postgres.

StoredObjectMessage and StoredObjectMessages is the main class
that communicates with the javax.mail api . The gnu-mail.jar didn't work
but the sun mail.jar did. ( gnu-mail returned a null object in getMessages() ).

Argus OS is a useful educational artifact because it's in java and can be
traced using eclipse, and hence it's easier to jump from method to
method without getting lost,  and is a good example of common package
structuring patterns in small application java apps
( e.g. a sql script package DataManagementDomain,
    a application solution ProblemDomain,
  a UserInterfaceDomain package ).

 I found it very comprehensible to read, as compared with
other open source stuff ( but I'm a java drone, so I would find
php and perl incomprehensible ).