Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed at LinuxworldExpo

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed at LinuxworldExpo
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 17:41:28 +1100

Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> People generally seem to
> understand the need for structured documentation but are absolutely not used
> to it since commercial software ignores it completely.
>
> Talks have shown that a great deal of educating collegues needs to be
> undertaken.
The whole episode-health issue business is hard to understand, it much easier
when you
see it 'live'
I didn't really get it until I saw it work at Leipzig, I now consider myself
"converted"
and I agree structured notes are important.
Translation is another issue, when I heard Karsten say "Grunderkrankung" I
finally got it,
this implies sitting at the top of a hierarchy of causation, whereas the
English "health issue" is so vague
it doesn't mean anything.

Obviously I don't want to go through the code and rename everything.
"Foundational illness" is
literally correct but sounds stupid. I would use simply "Problem" in GUI
labels, and explain all
this stuff in the docs.

> internet community. IMHO GNUmed would benefit from more public exposure -
> even now.
There are two types of exposure and I think that's where our disagreement
(which isn't really a disagreement) comes from.
I would have no hesitation at demonstrating gnumed at "LinuxWorld Australia"
were there such a thing, even to doctors
(as presumably they would have an IT bent and understand FOSS and the concept
of software being "in development")

The other type is to real clinicians with no particular IT interest, and, until
we can print scripts, no real interest in gnumed
either. However, when we can say "burn your Microsoft licence and post Bill
Gates the ashes" we will see interest ;-)

Ian