Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed at LinuxworldExpo

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed at LinuxworldExpo
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:22:46 +0100

On Monday 14 November 2005 04:54, J Busser wrote:
> At 8:13 PM +0100 11/11/05, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> >A Live CD based on KNOPPIX will be available.
>
> Something I have been wondering for some time.. how can/does a "Live
> CD" handle the requirements (as I am sure are issued by the OS and
> applications, especially database applications) to "write to disk"?
>
> I expect *some* of this might be manageable by writing to a scratch
> or swap file, but can this also accommodate a GNUmed local database
> on the CD (or would the Live CD be client-only)?
Our live disk is somewhat limited in tis respect. It writes to a ramdisk which
is set up on every boot.  This means you loose all changes once you reboot.

If you have enough physical RAM you can run gnumed's local database inside it.
Not every user's PC might meet the requirements but it will get better over
time plus if you really wnat to see it look at the screenshot, movies or
simply install it. Or come see GNUmed run at LinuxworldExpo :-)

Sebastian