Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: get something done

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: get something done
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 15:32:09 +0100

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 12:57, Richard Hosking wrote:

Hi Richard,

> I am glad someone has said this - I have been reluctant as a newbie as
> it may already have been said and done before.
> I have difficulty visualizing Gnumed as a model. The Wiki does have some
> stuff, but the ideal would be a visual model starting at the "context"
> level diagram - ie the inputs and outputs to the system as a whole. The
Personally I lack the knowledge to follow you but please elaborate.
> model is developed in progressive detail, drilling down to a module level.
> Lack of upfront modelling and design effort is a weak point in OSS
> software as a whole. The software eventually evolves into something
> useful as nothing is lost, but it might take a few million years.. :)
>
> I agree there is a real risk that the work so far will be lost, and that
> this risk could be reduced by a phase of planning/design according to
> one of the accepted methodologies in software design
While I mostly seem to justify the status quo I am willing to work with you on
this. Please tell me more what you would like to see.

Some graphical representation of GNUmed. Do you have a specific idea ?
Since I have never attended any CS classes you guys need to help me out on
this. Are there any tools to do this, any language or is it just drawing
boxes , circles arrows on a piece of paper ?

I really have no idea.
Sebastian Hilbert

> Could the students be better employed in gathering requirements and
> modelling, rather than rushing to code?
They can be employed in anything we offer. They will works with us not the
other way around, I am afraid. I can only guess but telling them to gather
and model requirement would leave them lost. Heck, I couldn't do it if I
wanted.

On a side note. Ask any question you want. There is no such thing as has been
asked before.