Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed - some thoughts

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed - some thoughts
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 13:55:51 -0800

(copied to list)

At 10:39 PM +0100 2/5/06, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
What is way more important than the name of the software
is that all Open Source projects prove that data exchange
is possible and manageable.

Well, many closed-source projects prove that data exchange is possible. All kinds of money gets spent "interfacing" hospital system A to B to C and A to C and A & B & C to D, and also a number of the bigger vendors produce interfaces to be able to pull (usually lab) data from hospitals.

In British Columbia the vendors agreed to a standard in which key (but not all) patient demographic data would be exportable.

Maybe it be crucial that the Open Source models adopt a common method for data interchange. But there is exists no forum for this, does there? I mean, I think open-health (or whatever it is called) is like a general "coffee lounge" and not the place where actual projects get any regular discussion?