Re: [Gnumed-devel] doc_med , txt blob

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] doc_med , txt blob
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 09:11:04 -0700

On Sep 15, 2006, at 7:00 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

My knee-jerk reaction would be, why, of course, dump it
into doc_obj.data.

While this would certainly work and not lose any data I'll
wager a paraphrasing of the question:

How to store a text blob as a document and not lose
*information*

Is the issue that an effective search process must easily figure out the method needed to look inside a particular object, but plain text file content does not itself say, for example, "I am an ASCII text file"?

- Convert the text into UTFx, create a unicode file with the
  proper start of file marker and store that into
  doc_obj.data.

Does GNUmed have --- or is it in future intended to have --- a search process that, based on start of file markers inside objects, can easily determine a method to do e.g. boolean searches inside the object(s), facilitated by some kind of re-usable open source plug-in?