Re: [Gnumed-devel] doc_med , txt blob

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] doc_med , txt blob
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 00:34:59 +1000

Karsten Hilbert wrote:

>> (otherwise the query may get slow checking against
>> blobs.reviewed_doc_objs for every new document.
>>
> Not that I should think :-)   If there's no row in
> blobs.reviewed_doc_objs then there's no review.

Ok, you can do
select * from doc_obj where fk_intended_reviewer = <me> and
 not found (select 1 from reviewed_doc_obj where fk_doc_obj = doc_obj.id)

to display an 'Inbox' of unread blobs.

However after a few years the number of doc_objs the user has ever seen,
which
then have to be run through the sub-query, gets very large.

Having said that, I'm very impressed with the performance of the 0.3 client,
I'm been using the same hardware since 2002. (P4 1.6 512M RAM)
> In fact, I was just about to suggest that:
>
> Convert the PIT into a proper UTF8 file. Store that in
> blobs.doc_obj.data. Store it as properly encoded text in
> blobs.doc_desc as well. Link doc_desc to the appropriate
> doc_med. The doc_obj content is authoritative (because
> doc_desc can always be regenerated from it).
>
> So we get the best of both worlds. Proper blobs handling and
> searchability of text.

*Two* copies? Sigh. Disc is cheap, I suppose.

Ian