Re: [Gnumed-devel] doc_med , txt blob

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] doc_med , txt blob
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 14:42:01 +0200

On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 09:11:04AM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> Is the issue that an effective search process must easily figure out
> the method needed to look inside a particular object,
No, that's not the issue. It would be the issue, however,
were we considering such searching through blobs which we
are not.

> but plain text
> file content does not itself say, for example, "I am an ASCII text
> file"?
That, however, is correct. That's why I suggested converting
the "plain text" to unicode encoded text and store it in a
unicode encoded file with the proper markers saying "I am a
utf8 little endian text file". It is still text but it's
sufficiently self-descriptive.

> Does GNUmed have --- or is it in future intended to have --- a search
> process that, based on start of file markers inside objects, can
> easily determine a method to do e.g. boolean searches inside the
> object(s), facilitated by some kind of re-usable open source plug-in?
No and no.

The docs viewer does work in a similar way, however. It
exports the blob into a file and uses some OS level
heuristics to determine the MIME type of the exported file
and runs the viewer associated with that mime type.