[Gnumed-devel] Re: meditux - compromed

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: meditux - compromed
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 10:12:07 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 7 May 2007, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

What about a service company that writes Open Source software?  Just an
idea - your sentence sounded like a contradiction between "Open Source
Project" and "service company".

open source *project* vs. services *company*, that is

Canonical - Ubuntu, Sun - OO, Netscape - Mozilla, ... just to name
some famous ones.

In the legacy world this is called market consolidation. It
happens by buyout, not by cooperation, typically. They are
(the engineers, anyways) certainly not happy about
*technically* reinventing the wheel but the Suits will
happily make them so as long as it pays. To make sure it
pays they kill competition, the don't cooperate, lest they
be killed themselves.

Well, but is the billing modul really a component that makes
a difference or advantage that is a buying argument for customers.
I guess there are other reasons to decide for one or the other
practice management software than the billing module.  So this
is not really the target for a competition and thus you could
save some developers for more challenging tasks and just "outsource"
this part to an OPen Source project.

I succeded once to convince a representative of a company that
produces medical devices.
You seem to be a Jedi ! Did you suffer RSI from waving your
hand ? ;-)

Well, I'm not so interested in Jedi etc. and wonder what RSI means:

From The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (19 Sep 2003) [foldoc]:

  RSI
     1. <medical> {overuse strain injury}.
     2. <company> {Research Systems, Inc.}.

At least I do not suffer from both things. ;-)

We should not assume that these people
do not have a common sense.
We should not assume either that they are/feel free in their
decisions. Politics for the Good or for the Bad, both are
necessary evils but still quixotian ventures.

Well, all I want to say is that it sounds like oversimplification
if we assume that it is needles to explain such people how it could
work better.  I don't think that they have the same view on
Free Software as we have, but we should try to make them understand
that they could gain a profit from using the advantages of
Free Software.  Really big companies did understand it and
released parts of their business as Open Source.  Do you think
that companies that produce medical software feel comfortable
in lagging behind a "trend"?  I don't think that we are in a
battle between the good and the evil.  There are just different
business models and there are fields were Free Software might
be more successfully.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--