Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstrapping database problem with python path

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstrapping database problem with python path
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 20:45:10 +0200

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 07:09:29PM +0200, Florian Hubold wrote:

> I always download the tarball directly from gnumed.de,
> so the structure is right. Even after creating the symlink manually,
> or letting the script do it, still the same problem.
> Now i redid the complete gnumed-server directory layout,
> as you said if the modules were correctly installed
> under pythons site-packages/ no symlink and no PYTHONPATH
> should be needed. Now there is another problem:
>
>    ./bootstrap-latest.sh: line 50: ./bootstrap_gm_db_system.py: Datei
>    oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

What this means is that the bootstrap-latest.sh script is
NOT started from the server/bootstrap/ directory. Or else
that directory does not contain the python script
bootstrap_gm_db_system.py or that that file is not
executable.

Regardless of any other conditions it really *should* be
possible to just download a tarball and bootstrap from that
locally without anything else needing to be installed.

> I just want the contents of the tarball to be packaged into an RPM,
> like the existing packages for PCLOS and/or Suse do, and want it
> to be able to bootstrap the local database. I consider this a standard
> use case.
Surely. As the very first step I would make sure I can
bootstrap the database just so. Download the tarball,
bootstrap from that.

What happens if you try that ?

> And the bootstrapping script is not called from anywhere, direcly from PWD.
What is the output of  `pwd` ?

> Please look again at the part where i wrote "this is what happens during
> bootstrapping".
> It changes to the directory where the extracted tarball is installed in
> the system,
> and does ./bootstrap-latest.sh. Should be exactly the same as with
> the extracted tarball, but seems not to work.

Strange, it should, as that is how it is intended to work.
And it does work on the machines I tried. Can you please
manually try unpacking a fresh tarball, changing to the
directory and running the boostrap script manually.