Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstrapping database problem

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstrapping database problem
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:09:47 +0200

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 12:37:28PM +0200, Florian Hubold wrote:

>> That is entirely possible. PostgreSQL is quite powerful in
>> how it can be set up and thus a bit complex and certainly
>> site-dependant.
>>
> I only overtook the gnumed-server package from Paul Grinberg, and adapted
> it to mandriva. Again, those problem should then be in all gnumed-server
> packages, as they are build upon the spec of Paul Grinbergs package,
Well, that assumption - theoretically - is a bit fragile
because different distributions may have different default
access rights so what Paul did may or may not be sufficient
for other distributions. However, GNUmed operates under sane
basic assumptions such that, practically, it would be
expected to work with all distros.

>>>    "could not access file "$libdir/plpgsql": No such file or directory"
>>>
>> Sounds like the plpgsql package for PostgreSQL isn't
>> properly installed.
>>
> It was not installed at all. But even when it would have been, the path
> is another:
Sure, but that don't matter because that's what the $libdir
bit is for: it tells PostgreSQL to use whatever its libdir
is.

>> In fact, the whole pg_ident.conf business is only needed
>> when you want to bootstrap as a user different from either
>> root or postgres.
>>
> So the whole pg_ident.conf setup can be commented out.
Yes. unless you want to enable bootstrapping as someone
other than root or postgres.

>> is really needed. Except if you want to bootstrap under an
>> account other than root/postgres, then you'd need this too:
>>
> So i will remove anything else than that line from postgresql.conf.
Yes, but no. That one line will have to go in pg_hba.conf,
not postgresql.conf.

> Hope this is enough to make plpgsql work, see above the problem with the
> different path on mandriva.
It really should and the path is no problem as we do things
relatively through PG itself.

> Will do all the changes, and report back after testing.
> And sorry for the mails getting longer and longer. ;-)
It's a sign of getting into the details of problems or IOW
nearing the root cause so no worries.