Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstrapping database problem

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstrapping database problem
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:01:51 +0200

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 11:53:57AM +0200, Florian Hubold wrote:

> Here is an excerpt from an otherwise unchanged postgresql file on
> mandriva 2008.1
> after installation and initialization of postgresql server.
>
>    # -----------------------------
>    # PostgreSQL configuration file
>    # -----------------------------
> #------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>    # FILE LOCATIONS
>
> #------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>    # The default values of these variables are driven from the -D
>    command-line
>    # option or PGDATA environment variable, represented here as ConfigDir.
>
>    #data_directory = 'ConfigDir'        # use data in another directory
>                        # (change requires restart)
>    #hba_file = 'ConfigDir/pg_hba.conf'    # host-based authentication file
>                        # (change requires restart)
>    #ident_file = 'ConfigDir/pg_ident.conf'    # ident configuration file
>                        # (change requires restart)
>
>    # If external_pid_file is not explicitly set, no extra PID file is
>    written.
>    #external_pid_file = '(none)'        # write an extra PID file
>                        # (change requires restart)
>
> Can you tell me what this looks like on your box and with what distribution?
> The only interesting part is the "file locations" one, is this right?
As regards our case, yes, that's what points you to where
the authentication files actually are. This one is
particularly important:

>    #hba_file = 'ConfigDir/pg_hba.conf'    # host-based authentication file

What this means is that PG looks for the pg_hba.conf in the
default location, namely "(-D|$PGDATA)/pg_hba.conf", eg
/var/lib/postgresql/8.3/main/pg_hba.conf.

Debian has them under /etc/postgresql/8.3/main/... and
postgresql.conf says:

        data_directory = '/var/lib/postgresql/8.3/main'         # use data in
another directory
        hba_file = '/etc/postgresql/8.3/main/pg_hba.conf'       # host-based
authentication file
        ident_file = '/etc/postgresql/8.3/main/pg_ident.conf'   # IDENT
configuration file