[Gnumed-devel] account management

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] account management
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 15:51:33 -0700

(was Re: [Gnumed-devel] bootstrapping database problem)

On 5-Sep-08, at 2:54 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

I mainly just wanted to know if it was avoidable to have to
give gmadm sudo access, since giving them sudo access would allows them
full access to postgres (they could fully "be" postgres, changing its
password etc) and I thought the point of having gmadm was to constrain the rights of gmadm in order to avoid their ability to monkey around with other postgres databases and instances which might be on the server, etc.

The intent is correct but its a bit difficult to do.

It seems to me that all IT companies which would be providing support may have to be able to restart the postgres server, therefore need to be able to sudo to root.

Therefore if these people would have access to root anyway, and the value of gmadm is only to provide a home directory in which to keep files, then instead of gmadm it sounds like the server may as well have a

        useradd -c "system acct for server" -m -r serveradm

inside which to have

        /gm (packages, reference notes)
        /mirth (packages, reference notes)
        /serverdocs (various notes about the server)

Is there any usecase on a production server to grant a system account to any office staff to do something useful without them needing sudo access?

I was thinking maybe they could have a non-sudo "backup" account into whose home folder dumps could be regularly written, and these dumps (maybe after auto-encrypting and gnotary) could be copied by the assistant for offsite storage?