[Gnumed-devel] small Sphinx demo

From: Gour
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] small Sphinx demo
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:26:21 +0200

Hello list!

I tried to provide a small demo to show you how can GNUmed docs
generated with Sphinx look like since there are no new bugs and I cannot
test and put my bugs2LP script in work. :-)

So, for the sake of experiment or let's say as a small 'proof of
concept' I picked few wiki pages from the 0.3.2 tarball - those under
First Steps section.

In order convert them to *.rst files I had too much problems :-(

Pandoc converter is used here daily, but it failed...I was googling and
asking to find some other html2rst script, but all failed with some
utf-8 encoding until I went to inspect twiki's generated *.html sources
to find out that iso-8859-15 encoding is used :-/

Please, we're in 21st century (aka Unicode) - no more those ancient
iso8859-X encodings!

So, after passing *.html through iconv to convert them to utf-8, i had
to find some additional script and converted them into *.rst files.

Then running sphinx-quickstart and answering few questions I got
template to populate with the source files.

Here it is (index.rst):

.. GNUmed manual (sphinx test) documentation master file, created by
   sphinx-quickstart on Wed Sep 10 19:06:33 2008.
   You can adapt this file completely to your liking, but it should at least
   contain the root `toctree` directive.

Welcome to GNUmed manual (sphinx test)'s documentation!

Contents:

.. toctree::
   :maxdepth: 2

   StartingGnumed
   GnumedUserInterface
   BasicPatientHandling
   BasicProgressNotes
   BasicEmrStructuring

Indices and tables
==================

* :ref:`genindex`
* :ref:`modindex`
* :ref:`search`

I added the five sources to the list - that's all.

Moreover, Sphinx generates Makefile for free and then issuing:

Then I edited *.rst files a bit - only chopped out headers & footers
generated from twiki - nothing else!

Time to generate docs with 'make html' and 'make latex' and then in
latex dir running 'make all-pdf'.

So simple and everything can be done easily within cron job on the
server.

Here you can see results:

http://atmarama.org/gnumed/ and

http://atmarama.org/gnumed/gnumed.pdf

(My name on the docs is result of answering the 'author' question, but I
do not pretend to own the copyright being greatly afraid of
Sebastian.) :-)

Let the flame begin...

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D