Re: [Gnumed-devel] small Sphinx demo

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] small Sphinx demo
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:10:39 -0700

On 11-Sep-08, at 3:15 AM, Gour wrote:
Well, wiki is, imho, not suited for writing serious & structured
documentation. It's OK for quick and short notes, but not for technical
documentation like application's manuals etc. which require very god
structuring, index, glossaries, figures (screenshots), code snippets
etc.

I only just re-identified on the wiki that we had bookmarked DocBook. I appreciate that Gour is already doing competing work and make no suggestion we should deviate, I only thought I should at least remind us it exists:

http://doc-book.sourceforge.net/homepage/

... a wiki in PHP that "allows the viewers of a document to download the document in other formats, like PDF, RTF, Plain HTML, LaTeX, PS, etc. which can be generated automatically from the DocBook format." DocBookWiki will also try to keep a history of all the modifications made to the document, by keeping the document chunks in CVS, and so keeping track of all the changes.

The features of DocBookWiki can be summarized like this:

Can display a DocBook document online.
Can display several documents at once (a list of books).
Can display each of them in several languages.
Allows to edit a certain section of a certain book in a certain language. Editing can be done in several modes, like text, html, xml, texi, latex etc. The basic format is always DocBook (XML), no matter how it is displayed or edited. Each document (in each language) can be converted automatically into other formats (like PDF, RTF, LaTeX, etc.) for downloading. All the history of modifications is kept (in CVS) and any previous versions of a document can be recovered (by tag or by date) by the admin of the site. Authentication of editors can be enabled and admin can assign different access rights and permissions to the editors.