[Gnumed-devel] the whole language thing

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] the whole language thing
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 14:13:00 -0700

Could we please consolidate some of our information (some of which may exist only in people's heads and unknown-to-me places in the code).

I understand GNUmed chose to make English the primary language, I guess that means that the main trunk code contains English strings for all things like menus, menu items, on-screen labels.

GNUmed is also "internationalized" which means (??) it is configured to *support* (allow) translation?

A translation is a structured set of strings that are able to substitute for any or all of the menus, menu items, window title bar text, and on-screen labels (literals) for the fields and for dialog box questions or information. (??) And where a translation is incomplete, it need not cause any problem other than the unspecified or incomplete portions causing the menus etc to display in the primary language?

The public db at salaam has a

        currently selected database language ('de_DE')

which does not match my current system language ('en_CA'). However I cannot tell that choosing "Set" or "Don't set" makes any difference. Either way, the menus all display in English as do the inbox column headings (category, type, message) and it is only the content e.g. "medizinish", "Dokumente durchsehen" etc that are displayed as one would expect to be defined by the content of the data tables.

With my own local database I also have a persisting (seeming) problem. When I log into v9 using client 0.3.2 from tarball, I am presented the USS Enterprise warning, which I acknowledge. I am then presented with

The currently selected language ('None') does not match the current system language (en_CA)?

        Do you want to set the database language to 'en_Ca'?

How did the currently-selected language end up to be (or remain) "None"... is this a function of the bootstrap?

How do I set it?

If I click "Set" (to set it to 'en_CA') but it makes no difference because the next time I log in I get the *same* dialog that the database language is 'None' does this point to a bug? File a bug report?

Also, what is "Remember to ignore language mismatch" ... what is this supposed to achieve, and how would it be useful?