[Gnumed-devel] versioning scheme

From: Gour
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] versioning scheme
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 07:21:17 +0200

Hello!

I have suggestion in regard to versioning schemes of GNUmed application
as well as for the database format...

Please bear in mind I'm not at all familiar with the internal stuff, but
propose new plan just by observing problems in bootstrapping the correct
format of the database.

The plan is simple:

1) the database format should be kept unchanged for the same major
releases, i.e. 0.3 series should keep the same format (e.g. 0.3 release,
0.3.1, 0.3.2 etc.) If the format has to change, it calls increasing the
major release (e.g. to 0.4) and it means that only minor fixes should go
into minor release

2) database format has to be 'in sync' with major release, so instead of
v9, v10, there should be v0.3, v0.4 etc...

The present labelling, imho, just adds unnecessary confusion for both
end-users and admins.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D